As a member of the HQ regional finance team, the Roving Finance Officer will be based in one of the country offices in the East Africa Region - Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, Sudan, South Sudan, and Tanzania.
The Roving Finance Officer will report to Regional Finance Controller and assume country office or regional finance roles for temporary periods to cover resourcing gaps and to deliver on discrete projects and initiatives so that adequate financial management is sustained and improved. This will include the line management of any appropriate finance and awards staff within the remit of the posting, identifying any capacity gaps and proposing appropriate solutions and capacity building of country office teams.
The role holder will bridge senior country finance staff gaps based on a Terms of Reference (TOR) agreed with Country Finance Manager, Country/Regional Director, on a cost recovery basis. The role holder will also act as a champion for Search for Common Ground (SFCG) financial policies, standards and procedures, coaching and mentoring staff and colleagues to ensure a thorough and complete understanding is maintained.
The role holder will be expected to work outside the normal job descriptions and be able to vary working hours accordingly and support Search Finance HQ team in opening new and closing existing Country offices
Roles and responsibilities include:
- Temporarily assume the position of the Country Finance Manager/ Finance Coordinator until a permanent replacement can be identified and trained and fill in the gap where Country finance staff is on leave.
- Prepare a trip report for each assignment and submit to CFM /CD/RC and Director Internal controls.
- Support the Country Finance staff in day to day reconciliations and financial analysis
- Provides assistance in timely monthly closing and ensuring Country Offices are able to close on agreed upon deadlines.
- Review financial reports and documents from the field offices and insure that they are timely received.
- Work closely with logistic department to insure that asset register is updated regularly an match physical assets.
- Provide training and support to finance and non-finance staff regarding generally accepted financial procedures and SFCG internal controls.
- Participate in and facilitate country finance workshops and training as required;
- Maintain open communication with Finance, program staff and others for all financial clarifications;
- As job descriptions cannot be exhaustive, the position holder may be required to undertake other duties that are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.
You meet the following qualifications:
Academic and Professional Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Commerce, Finance or Accounting
- Certified Public Accountant is preferred
- Relevant Experience
- Minimum of 5 years relevant experience
- SFCG internal experience will be preferred
Knowledge, Skills & Personal Attributes
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills.
- Strict attention to policy and practice detail
- Very strong financial analysis skills
- High integrity
- Good knowledge of financial reporting systems in donor funded work
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Good cultural awareness and sensitivity
- Ability to function independently and as a work team leader/facilitator
- Excellent computer skills with hands on experience on computerized accounting systems; and Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
- Finance Staff in the fields.
- Finance staff in HQ
- Project Managers/ Coordinators
- Admin/Logistics Staff
To apply, interested candidates should send the following items to our employment portal here:
- current resume
- cover letter
Only applicants invited for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please. Please see our website www.sfcg.org for full details of our work.
All Search Employees must adhere to the values: Shared Humanity - Empathy - Impartiality - Inclusivity - Courage - Hope - Humility - Audacity. In accordance with these values, Search enforces compliance with the Code of Conduct and related policies on Anti Workplace Harassment, Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Conflict of Interest and Anti-fraud.