In Ethiopia, Search is providing technical support to Food for the Hungry (FH) and the Amhara Development Association (ADA) to improve the social accountability, participatory governance and monitoring of the FH led Targeted Response for Agriculture Income and Nutrition (TRAIN) project, which aims to improve food and nutrition security and enhance resiliency to shocks and livelihoods among vulnerable households in Amhara.
As part of this project, Search is seeking to recruit a cartoonist, to develop a 24-pages comic book highlighting role models of social accountability in Amhara, Ethiopia.
The activities and deliverables for the development of this comic book are described in further detail below:
Field Mission to Amhara, Ethiopia
- Visit the project’s target locations in Amhara, Ethiopia, meeting with relevant stakeholders in view of the comic book’s production;
- Produce a trip report, including a draft script in the Annexes;
Development of a Script for the Comic Book
- Develop the story characters;
- Produce a draft script, and submit it to Search, FH and ADA for their feedback;
- Complete the script for a 24-pages comic book;
Development of a 24-pages Comic Book
- Draw a 24-pages comic book (in black & white) based on the script
Pre-testing of the Comic Book
- Develop a methodology and tool for pre-testing the comic book with target audience;
- Provide a remote briefing to FH/ADA staff on how to use the pre-testing tool;
- Analyze the pre-test results with FH/ADA staff;
Completion of the 24-pages Comic Book
- Conduct final modifications to the comic book based on the results of the pre-test;
- Produce the comic book’s cover page, in color.
Deliverables and Deadlines
- Completion of the field mission in Amhara, Ethiopia: February 21
- Completion of the script: March 6
- Submission of the first draft of the comic book: March 31
- Pre-testing of the comic book: April 15
- Completion of the comic book: April 30
Search will supply the following:
- Return flights for the field visit to Amhara, Ethiopia;
- Accommodation and per diem during the field visit to Amhara, Ethiopia;
- Daily fee to be defined based on the consultant’s experience.
The following skills and experience are required for this consultancy:
- At least 10 years of experience as a cartoonist;
- Experience developing comic books for NGOs, preferably INGOs;
- Knowledge of the Amhara region in Ethiopia is a strong asset;
- Availability to travel to Ethiopia in February 2019, and to complete the production of the comic book by the end of April 2019;
- Proficiency in English (spoken) is preferred;
- Flexibility and collaborative team spirit.
This position will close on January 2, 2019.
To apply, interested candidates should send the following items to our employment portal here:
- current resume
- cover letter- Include your daily consultant fee in your cover letter
- A comic sample
Please do one of the following when submitting your comic sample:
- If the sample you are sending us is online, please include a link to the comic at the bottom of your cover letter.
- If you need to send us the sample as a separate document, please email it to email@example.com
directly with the subject line "Comic Book Sample."
Only applicants invited for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please. Please see our website www.sfcg.org for full details of our work.
All Search Employees must adhere to the values: Shared Humanity - Empathy - Impartiality - Inclusivity - Courage - Hope - Humility - Audacity. In accordance with these values, Search enforces compliance with the Code of Conduct and related policies on Anti Workplace Harassment, Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Conflict of Interest and Anti-fraud.