Grants and Finance Manager
(Open to both Internationals and Nationals)
The Grants and Finance manager is a strong professional, responsible, effective, and efficient team leader with a growth mindset and excellent communication skills. As the key lead and head of the finance department, he/she will be responsible for leading the Search Myanmar team to achieve full compliance with Search, donor and Myanmar policies. He/She will hold overall responsibility for financial accountability and grant compliance of a growing portfolio of contracts, ensuring excellent financial management and accounting. He/She will work with the business development team to develop new budget proposals and ensure operational budget gaps are addressed, maintaining and strengthen the effectiveness of the Myanmar Search team and confidence of donors. This position is a member of the Leadership Management Team of SFCG|Myanmar and is expected to bring challenges and solutions to the LMT meetings to support the ongoing growth and wellbeing of the Myanmar office contributing to Search’s larger vision of building peace in Myanmar through his/her work.
This position reports directly to the Country Director in Myanmar and will be based in Yangon with approximately 5% travel.
Search for Common Ground (Search) is one of the leading international non-profit peacebuilding organizations that promotes peaceful resolution of conflict. With headquarters in Washington, DC and a European office in Brussels, Belgium, Search’s mission is to transform how individuals, organizations, and governments deal with conflict - away from adversarial approaches and toward cooperative solutions. SFCG seeks to help conflicting parties understand their differences, and act on their commonalities. In Myanmar, Search's approach is to support locally led processes at different levels of society in order to transform local level conflict. Search Myanmar has been supporting an inclusive peace process at the local level, social cohesion nationwide, and skills building and trust building with and between a multitude of stakeholders, including government, the private sector, the media, and civil society including women, youth and minorities. Search Myanmar works with local partners across six states and three regions and is at an exciting stage reaching new levels of growth, scaling up its programmatic work, team, office and operations to support its priorities of peace, development and democratic change.
The organization is an exciting and rewarding place to work, with a culture of creativity, innovation and learning, and the opportunity to grow into new positions globally.
Organisational leadership and management
- Lead a rapidly growing finance team supporting personnel growth, learning and job satisfaction and building a strong team spirit.
- Act as a role model and lead the Search Myanmar team as a key leadership management team member
- Take full responsibility for finance and grants compliance in line with Search’s policies , donor policies and local legal compliance in Myanmar. ensuing that the wider Search Myanmar team clearly understands and adheres to the policies and procedures.
- Work closely with the Search Grants Officer and with Search Myanmar’s partner organizations to ensure effective management of sub-awards.
- Lead the finance team and Search Myanmar as a role model in effective communication ensuring that policies and procedures are followed and support solution oriented approaches to challenges that the team may face.
- Lead the team in learning and rolling out the new Intact financial management system through the first half of 2019.
Oversee the management of grants, budgets and spending
- Carry out effective and efficient oversight of all project funds and develop budget vs. actuals on a monthly basis for each project and share it with respective project leads and Leadership Management team.
- Oversee timely recording of all financial transactions (currently occurs through a monthly financial report), including all payables and accruals. Oversee management of in-country balance sheet and all required schedules in support of the monthly close
- Develop quarterly operational budgets and advise the Country Director and LMT team of future funding gaps.
- Ensure robust financial management systems , and strengthen core finance and grants operations systems and procedures, (incl. local budget management systems. procurement, cash advances, inventory management, etc.) and policies and procedures.
- Manage the various grants to ensure accurate spending, tracking expenditures and variances, using Budget versus Actuals, reviewing costed work plans, and verifying and ensuring correct budget code allocation and providing advice and learning to the operations and program team on a regular basis..
- Work closely with Program and project teams to monitor funds, ensuring up to date records of expenditures in compliance with budget allocations and donor requirements.
- Provide advice and develop capacity of wider Search Myanmar team on finance and grants management.
- Support in the recovery of cash payments from donors.
- Ensure robust standard operating procedures across the team to ensure smooth cash flow.
- Oversee the compilation and submission of accurate and timely monthly and quarterly reports and donor financial reports to headquarters in line with contractual agreements.
Responsible for financial aspects of fundraising
- Identify potential shortfalls in funding and alert Country Director/team as appropriate.
- Prepare annual revenue forecasts.
- Prepare budgets for new proposals together with business development team in line with donor requirements.
Ensure compliance of SFCG Myanmar
- Review and provide input for all kind of contracts including fulfillment and payment initiation.
- Ensure compliance with Statutory matters like taxation, and any other relevant local laws.
- Manage internal and external audits and ensure Search and its partner organizations have practices and policies that support audits.
- Facilitate timely audit and responses to auditors, both local and at headquarters
- Oversee the compilation and submission of accurate and timely monthly finance reports to Search headquarters
- Develop accurate and timely donor financial reports and carry out correspondence with donors and HQ on financial matters, in consultation with the Country Director
Treasury and cash management
- Supervise Country Office cash management functioning, maintenance of optimal bank balance, monitoring of the interest level, bank reconciliation, draft correspondence with bank, monitoring currency gain/loss, etc.
- Liaison with local bank for operational matters to ensure that Search Myanmar receives the best possible financial services.
- Build capacity of partners and staff in financial systems, policies and procedures.
- Support team members to reach their full potential and personal goals through yearly performance evaluation processes and ongoing coaching, mentoring, and providing clear constructive feedback for development.
- Develop a clear segregation of duties within the team and work with staff and HR to revisit and update job descriptions as needed.
- Work closely with other heads of departments to ensure that the full Search Myanmar team achieves financial success.
As job descriptions cannot be exhaustive, the position-holder may be required to undertake other duties that are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.
Minimum Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- Myanmar national with 5+ years of experience managing financial management systems and leading teams for INGOs with multiple donors.
- Excellent communicator: able to identify and solve problems in line with Search, donor and Myanmar compliance and to interpret financial information in a way that can be understood for non-finance staff.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Accounting or relevant field,, preferably CPA or ACCA accredited.
- Experience managing grants from the European Union and other major donors.
- Highly organized and systematic with excellent attention to detail.
- Previous experience leading a team and supporting team members in their professional development.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written and oral.
- Team-player and positive personality, able to bring people together across dividing lines, and to find solutions to challenges.
- Proactive and ability to work independently.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously and to meet tight deadlines.
- Flexibility to work some evenings or early mornings to join meetings with headquarters.
- Computer literacy proficiency, including solid working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications.
- A Common Grounder, able to understand the perspectives and needs from people with different backgrounds.
- A growth-mindset, willing to learn and to grow in the role.
- Excellent written and spoken Myanmar and English language
Salary: Commensurate with education and experience.
This position will be open until a suitable candidate is identified.
To apply, interested candidates should send the following items to our employment portal here:
- current resume
- cover letter
Only applicants invited for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please. Please see our website www.sfcg.orgfor full details of our work.