As a key member of the Philanthropy & Global Communications Team, the Manager, Prospect Research is responsible for conducting online and print research in an effort to identify and qualify prospects (i.e. individuals, corporations, and foundations) with the capacity to donate major gifts in support of the organization. This role will develop opportunities and mechanisms to assist the organization with executing a comprehensive eight-figure fundraising campaign. This role is also responsible for identifying and ranking new prospects using a broad range of internal and external data sources. This role will prepare documentation and provide detailed briefings, write and develop detailed profiles and research reports. Additionally, this role will update and maintain constituent records for major and planned gift prospects in the constituent database with the goal of overall records accuracy and completeness in keeping with the highest standards.
Key Area 1: Research
- Researches high-net-worth donor prospects and gathers information regarding their philanthropic interests, giving capacity, and affinity level with the organization.
- Prepares biographical profiles and research reports for use by senior leadership, planned and endowment giving, major gifts, and campaign volunteers.
- Identifies sources of corporate and foundation support to match campaign priorities and initiatives.
- Searches and compiles research material for new prospects by scanning publications (print and online) and a variety of public resources for successful organizations and individuals who may have interests which align with Search for Common Ground.
- Remains current and informed on prospect research trends and available resources in the field.
Key Area 2: Prospecting
- Partners with fundraising professionals to track their prospect management activity in the constituent database.
- Manages and responds to prospect management related requests for the major gifts team.
- Works with the Senior Manager, Campaigns and Operations, to develop prospect management policy and process guidelines.
- Updates and maintains non-gift information on major gift prospects and donors in the database including clipping relevant newspaper, journal articles, and other documentation as well as entering updated contact and biographical information.
- Oversees the maintenance and updating of major gift donor and prospect records to ensure accurate, methodical data entry and organized, detailed, and timely updates.
- Assists with data clean up and maintaining accurate prospect information for major gift prospects.
- Develops and maintains a network of contacts with other prospect research, prospect management, and records professionals locally and nationwide.
Key Area 3: Report
- Meets internal and external reporting needs for the team by generating standard research and prospect reports and designing and producing special reports as needed.
- Works with the Database Manager and Senior Manager, Campaigns and Operations, to design standard and special database reports for various stakeholders.
- Produces reports as requested for the Senior Manager, Campaigns and Operations, to support research trend analysis.
Key Area 4: Systems Design
- Supports the selection of an ecosystem of research tools needed to achieve the above objectives.
- Collaborates with the team under the leadership of the Senior Manager, Campaigns and Operations, in the process of conversion to a new CRM system to ensure the system meets all record-keeping requirements for high-quality high-net-worth research and relationship management.
As job descriptions cannot be exhaustive, the position holder may be required to undertake other duties that are broadly in line with the above key duties
- Bachelor's degree in Business Management/Administration, Communications, Marketing or a related field and a minimum of three years of work experience in prospect research, prospect management, and/or records management.
- OR a minimum of five years of work experience in prospect research and records management.
- Experience in quality control and routine maintenance of records and data in a large database.
- Working proficiency in English.
- Experience working in a non-profit or a university that has executed a capital campaign a plus.
- Experience working with Salesforce CRM a plus.
- Must possess strong analytical skills including the ability to analyze and interpret business and financial data.
- Proficiency with internet searching and prospect researching tools required.
- Must possess the ability to work at a level that requires nominal supervision and independent decision making.
- Must possess the ability to prioritize multiple projects and meet strict deadlines for deliverables.
- Must be able to work independently with the ability to make solid business decisions.
- Must have the ability to pay high attention to detail.
- Proficiency with Google suite, including Gmail, Hangout, Docs, Sheets, and Slides a plus.
To apply, interested candidates should send the following items to our employment portal here:
- current resume
- cover letter
Only applicants invited for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please. Please see our website www.sfcg.org for full details of our work.
All Search Employees must adhere to the values: Shared Humanity - Empathy - Impartiality - Inclusivity - Courage - Hope - Humility - Audacity. In accordance with these values, Search enforces compliance with the Code of Conduct and related policies on Anti Workplace Harassment, Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Conflict of Interest and Anti-fraud.